In winter, a lot of us experience long dark evenings and short dingy days. I feel an urge to just curl up and do nothing as soon as it hits 4pm (when it becomes dark in my city). While this isn’t an attitude I would encourage everyday I think a cozy pamper evening can do a lot of good – to our skin and our mental health. Here are 3 DIY Christmas recipes for an evening of self-love.
# DIY Oat Mask
- 3 tablespoons ground oats
- 1-tablespoon hot water
- 1-tablespoon honey
Extra ingredient for acne prone skin:
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
FYI – Lemon is a natural antibacterial and has anti-fungal properties.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of ground oats and put them into a bowl.
- Add 1-tablespoon boiling water and mix until soft (think mask consistency).
- Allow mixture to cool a little and absorb the liquid.
- Add 1-tablespoon of honey (I used agave) and give it a stir…and make sure that it is the clear, runny type.
- Smooth gently onto face.
# DIY Steam Bowl
What you need:
- A large bowl
- Boiling water
- A towel
- Boil water.
- Pour boiled water into a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add fresh or dried herbs/flowers if you wish e.g. mint, lavender, chamomile.
- Place face about 12 inches over steam bowl and a towel above your head in order to trap the steam.
- Steam your face for around 5-10 minutes stopping if it feels uncomfortable to your skin.
- Wash face.
# DIY Mulled Red Wine (Bonus Recipe!)
A quick disclaimer, this one isn’t for our younger readers – please adhere to your countries legal drinking age before indulging in this recipe.
- 1 bottle of dry red wine (e.g. Pinot Noir)
- 1 orange sliced
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar, honey or agave syrup
- 1-3 cardamom pods (to taste)
- Slice orange and take out spices.
- Heat the red wine in a pot – place on a low temp as you want it to warm and not cook!
- Once wine is heated, put in your orange and spices.
- Leave to sit until spices have infused with wine (I checked every 10 minutes or so).
- Add the sweetener of your choice to taste.
- Drink and enjoy.
I hope Clear Skin Army has some cozy fun with these ideas like I did!
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
Ps: These recipes have worked great for me but if you are aware of any allergy/irritation that will occur when using any of these ingredients please do not use them – the health and safety of the Clear Skin Army is of the utmost importance to us!
 Viuda-Martos M and others, “Antibacterial Activity Of Lemon (Citrus Lemon L.), Mandarin (Citrus Reticulata L.), Grapefruit (Citrus Paradisi L.) And Orange (Citrus Sinensis L.) Essential Oils” (2008) 28 Journal of Food Safety 567.
Photographed by the author.